Blue Plaques

Blue Plaques throughout the Borough of Hinckley & Bosworth in Leicestershire, to celebrate the link between notable people and buildings.

Blue Plaques throughout the Borough of Hinckley & Bosworth in Leicestershire

The Blue Plaque scheme was first proposed in 1863 in the House of Commons by William Ewart MP, the scheme was was founded in London in 1866 by the Society of Arts, and since 1986 has been run by English Heritage. The blue Plaques commemorate the link between notable figures of the past and the buildings in which they lived or worked.

The popularity of English Heritage's London blue plaques scheme has meant that a number of comparable schemes have been established elsewhere throughout the United Kingdom. Many of these schemes also use blue plaques which often manufactured in metal or plastic, rather than the ceramic used in London, but some feature plaques of different colours and shapes.

The register of Blue Plaque schemes across England, is maintained by English Heritage on a monthly basis.

If there are any Blue Plaques that are missing from the list, can you please give us the details via our Contact Page, we would also welcome photos of the Blue Plaques that we do not have or better quality photo than we already have.


Blue Plaque for Jon Baker Name: Jon Baker
Profession: Architect
Location: Crown Court, Castle Street
Notes: Architect and local Councillor, he also campaigned against the arrival of the 2nd class stamp.
Blue Plaque for William Bass Name: William Bass (1717-1787)
Profession: Brewer
Location: Castle Street
Notes: Founder of the famous Bass Brewery in Burton-upon-Trent, the brewery was established in 1777.
Blue Plaque for Charlotte Mary Brame Name: Charlotte Mary Brame (1836-1884)
Profession: Romantic Novelist.
Location: 35 Castle Street
Notes: A prolific writter, writing somewhere in the region of 130 novels during her lifetime. Her books were very successful with the public, but her earnings were severely diminished by piracy.
Blue Plaque for William Butler Name: William Butler (1843-1907)
Profession: Brewer
Location: New Buildings
Notes: Founder of the Mitchells & Butlers Brewery in Smethwick, Birmingham, the brewery was established in 1898.
Blue Plaque for Dr Robert Chessher Name: Dr Robert Chessher (1750-1831)
Profession: Pioneering Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Location: Queens Park Court, London Road
Notes: The first British Orthopedist. He invented the double-inclined plane to help in the treatment of lower-body bone fractures.
Blue Plaque for Dr Elizabeth Coxhead Name: Elizabeth Coxhead (1909-1979)
Profession: Author
Location: Mount Grace School
Notes: An Author of novels, Critic and a keen Mountaineer.
Note: Photo to be updated once the scaffolding has been removed.
Blue Plaque for Hinckley Freemasons Name: Freemasons (1717-2017)
Profession: Freemansonary.
Location: Hinckley Masonic Hall, St. Mary's Road
Notes: Freemasons first became established within the town in 1803, the ‘Knights of Malta’ Masonic Lodge No.47 held their first meeting at ‘Prince of Wales Inn’ along Lichfield Street.
Blue Plaque for Joseph Dare Name: Joseph Dare (1800–1883)
Profession: Teacher, Missioner, Poet and Social Worker.
Location: Great Meeting Unitarian Chapel
Notes: A pioneering social worker in Victorian Leicestershire, dedicated to tackling health issues in 19th Century Leicester.
Blue Plaque for Philip Doddridge Name: Rev Philip Doddridge (1702-1751)
Profession: Theologian and hymn writer.
Location: Great Meeting Unitarian Chapel
Notes: Nonconformist leader, educator, and hymnwriter. Many of his hymns, such as O God of Bethel, by whose hand, continue to be used to this day.
Blue Plaque for Joseph Hansom Name: Joseph Hansom (1803-1882)
Profession: Architect and designer of the Hansom cab.
Location: Natwest Bank, The Borough
Notes: He invented the Hansom cab, a horse-drawn carriage. A prolific English architect working principally in the Gothic Revival style, he founded the architectural journal 'The Builder' in 1843.
Blue Plaque for Joseph Hansom Name: Joseph Hansom (1803-1882)
Profession: Architect and designer of the Hansom cab.
Location: The Edwards Centre, Regent Street
Notes: He invented the Hansom cab, a horse-drawn carriage. A prolific English architect working principally in the Gothic Revival style, he founded the architectural journal 'The Builder' in 1843.
Blue Plaque for William Illiffe Name: William Illiffe (1620-1688)
Profession: Introduced the stocking frame to Hinckley.
Location: Hinckley & District Museum, Lower Bond Street
Notes: Changed the whole economy of the area by introducing the first knitting frame to Hinckley in 1640. He bought a knitting frame for the substantial sum of £60.
Blue Plaque for Arthur Kimbrell Name: Arthur Kimbrell (1897-1986)
Profession: Entertainment Organiser.
Location: The Bounty, The Horsefair
Notes: Hinckley's 'Mr Showbiz' known for bringing big name acts to the town.
Blue Plaque for Nat Langham Name: Nat Langham (1820-1871)
Profession: Pugilist (bare-knuckle boxer).
Location: Above archway to Cross Keys Yard, Castle Street.
Notes: A bare-knuckle prize fighter, who became the Middleweight Champion of England.
Blue Plaque for Robert James Lees Name: Robert James Lees
Profession: Spiritualist
Location: Jilly Flowers Florist, Upper Bond Street
Notes: A 19th century spiritualist medium who was reputed to have given seances to Queen Victoria, to put her in touch with Albert. He was one of the founders of the Spiritualist Church in the UK, and the Titbits magazine.
Blue Plaque for Father Matthew Thomas Norton Name: Father Matthew Thomas Norton
Profession: Roman Catholic Recusant
Location: St Peter’s Catholic Primary School
Notes: Father Matthew helped to reform the Dominican order in the country, and Hinckley became the first priory in England after Henry VIII’s reformation. He was also a distinguished agronomist - a cultivator of crops, pasture, soils and eco-systems.
Blue Plaque for A.J. Pickering Name: A.J. Pickering
Profession: Businessman, Archaeologist and Philanthropist
Location: Hansom Court, The Borough
Notes: Owned the local stationary business 'Pickering's', a very keen Archaeologist finding items from the roman period.


Blue Plaque for Kinard Baghot de la Bere Name: Kinard Baghot de la Bere (1837-1932)
Profession: Engineer
Location: Burbage Hall, Aston Lane
Notes: Discovered the use of Isinglass as a preservative, also Parliamentary Advisor on Agricultural matters.
Blue Plaque for Noel Brannan Name: Noel Rowston Brannan (1921-2001)
Profession: Artist
Location: Athelstan, Hinckley Road (opposite Regency Court)
Notes: Noel Brannan was a local Burbage Artist who was known for his paintings, he was also a teacher at Westfield Boys School.
Blue Plaque for George Canning Name: George Canning (1770-1827)
Profession: Politician and 1827 British Prime Minister.
Location: Burbage Constitutional Club/Canning House, Church Street
Notes: Canning was a British statesman and politician who served as Foreign Secretary and briefly became the British Prime Minister in 1827, that would last a mere 119 days.
Blue Plaque for Roger Cotes Name: Roger Cotes (1682-1716)
Profession: Mathematician
Location: Catherines Church, South Gate Street
Notes: Invented many mathematical formulae which includes: logarithmic spiral, least squares and Newton's work on Gravity.
Blue Plaque for Edward Crump Name: Edward Crump (1878–1956)
Profession: Chief Borough Engineer
Location: Tong Lodge, Church Street
Notes: Gave Burbage an uncontaminated water supply, Burbage Clean Water Scheme of 1915.
Blue Plaque for Darby and Joan Club Name: Darby and Joan Club
Profession: Social care for old Aged Pensioners
Location: Herford Way Community Centre,Far Lash
Notes: The Burbage Darby and Joan Club celebrates 100 years. This club is for the old Aged Pensioners of the area.
Blue Plaque for Charles Higham Name: Charles Higham (1855–1934)
Profession: Guide Philosopher and Friend
Location: Cheadle House, Britannia Road
Notes: As a founder member of the Burbage Constitutional Club and its first secretary he served the village most of his life as a Parish Councillor, church Warden and Superintendent of the Sunday Schools.
Blue Plaque for Stanley Higham Name: Stanley Higham (1883–1947)
Profession: Guide Philosopher and Friend
Location: Cheadle House, Britannia Road
Notes: The first Burbage representative on the Hinckley Urban Council, also head of the National School.
Blue Plaque for Charles Chamberlain Hurst Name: Charles Chamberlain Hurst (1870-1947)
Profession: Geneticist
Location: Main Entrance, Burbage Infant school, Grove Road
Notes: Site of Burbage Research Station (1907-1922), Charles was well known for his work on hybridisation and breeding in orchids, but also for carrying out early studies into eye colour genetics inn 1905, and animal coat coloration.
Blue Plaque for Armine Robinson Name: Armine Robinson née Sandford (1928-2011)
Profession: BBC Newsreader and Actress
Location: Archer Cottage, Church Street
Notes: First female newsreader for the BBC reginal television, a theatre actress and also a member of the pioneering traveling Century Theatre that was constructed in Hinckley.
Blue Plaque for Herbert Robinson Name: Herbert Robinson (1884-1977)
Profession: International Rose Breeder
Location: 109 Church Street
Notes: When Herbert was then at the peak of his success at breeding roses, he was regarded as one of the greatest hybridist in horticulture in 1959.

Barton in the Beans

Blue Plaque for Samuel Deacon Name: Samuel Deacon
Profession: Clockmaker and Baptist Preacher.
Location: Baptist Chapel, Main Street
Notes: Settled at Barton c.1765 and set up in business as a clockmaker. His workshop was preserved by his successors and after many years of continuous use is now in the collections of the Leicester Museum. He was a leader of the General Baptist sect and the author of many works, including his autobiography.

Earl Shilton

Blue Plaque for Samuel, Nathaniel & George Almey Name: Samuel Almey (1777-1824)
Nathaniel Almey (1784-1863)
George Almey (1791-1826)
Profession: Soldier
Location: Almey's Lane
Notes: Commemorating the 3 men who fought with the Royal Horse Artillery G Troop at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.
Blue Plaque for Norman Dagley Name: Norman Dagley (1929-1999)
Profession: World Champion Billiards Player.
Location: Earl Shilton Institute, Station Road
Notes: World Amateur and Professional Billiards Champion. An Earl Shilton man, he began and developed his game here.

Higham on the Hill

Blue Plaque for Lord Geoffrey Fisher Name: Lord Geoffrey Fisher (1887-1972)
Profession: Archbishop of Canterbury 1944-1961.
Location: C of E Primary School, Main Street
Notes: Baron Fisher of Lambeth was Archbishop of Canterbury from 1945 to 1961. In 1958 he caused controversy by speaking out in favour of a nuclear war, and features in Roald Dahl's book Boy. He grew up in Higham on the Hill.

Market Bosworth

Blue Plaque for Thomas Hooker Name: Davey Graham (1940-2008)
Profession: Musician
Location: Bosworth Hall Hotel, The Park
Notes: Musical maestro, innovator and inspiration to some of the biggest names in popular music.
Blue Plaque for Thomas Hooker Name: Thomas Hooker (1586-1647)
Profession: Puritan religious and colonial leader.
Location: Dixie Grammar School, Station Road
Notes: A prominent Puritan colonial leader, who founded the Colony of Connecticut after dissenting with Puritan leaders in Massachusetts. He was known as an outstanding speaker and a leader of universal Christian suffrage.


Blue Plaque for the National School Name: National School
Location: The Green (off Main Street)
Notes: Notes outstanding.
Blue Plaque for the Sawpit Name: Sawpit
Location: The Lower Green, Main Street (opposite the Methodist Church)
Notes: Notes outstanding.
Blue Plaque for John Wesley Name: John Wesley (1703-1791)
Profession: Founder of Methodism.
Location: 41 The Green
Notes: An Anglican cleric and Christian theologian. Wesley is largely credited, along with his brother Charles Wesley, as founding the Methodist movement which began when he took to open-air preaching. He was widely respected and referred to as 'the best loved man in England'.


Blue Plaque for the Boooking Office Name: Booking Office (1833)
Location: Railway Inn, Station Road
Notes: Built as a booking office for the Leicester and Swannington Railway in 1833.

Stoke Golding

Blue Plaque for the Thomas Barton Name: Thomas Barton (1365-1410)
Profession: Charity
Location: Cottage, Blacksmith’s Yard, High Street
Notes: Founder of the 'Charity of Thomas Barton', or 'The Causeway Charity', the charities were created as an act of Christian Faith aroun c.1400.
Blue Plaque for the Church of St. Margaret of Antioch Name: Church of St. Margaret of Antioch (1200s)
Location: Wall, Church Walks, High Street
Notes: This mediaeval Church is decorated Gothic style was built and extended during the 13th and 14th Centuries.
Blue Plaque for The Old Hall Name: The Old Hall (1610-1850)
Location: No.20, High Street
Notes: Bought in 1678 by Sir Henry Firebrace, a Church benefactor and courtier to Kings Charles I, Charles ll and James II.
Blue Plaque for the Moats and Tumulus Name: The Moats and Tumulus
Location: Main Street
Notes: A castellated mansion or fortified manor house once stood in the area where the moats remain, until the time of Elizabeth I.
Blue Plaque for the Mansion House and Parke Name: The Mansion House and Parke
Location: Main Street
Notes: The Mansion House and Parke that Basil Trymnell and his family lived in 1604.
Blue Plaque for The Mangle House Name: The Mangle House
Location: Station Road, opposite Andrew Close
Notes: Once housed a huge 1800s Box Mangle, the house still bears that name. The Box Mangle was found in pieces in a local farmer's barn, from where it was removed to Stowmarket museum.
Blue Plaque for The Free Grammar School Name: The Free Grammar School (1678)
Location: 31 Station Road
Notes: The Free Grammar School of The Foundation of Hester Hodges, the building was largely rebuilt in 1841 and additionally provided the residence of the Schoolmaster.
Blue Plaque for Crown Hill Name: Crown Hill
Location: Brick Pillar, Crown Hill Bungalow, Station Road
Notes: King Henry Vll who was the first of the Tudor Monarchs was crowned on Crown Hill, following The Battle of Bosworth 22nd August 1485.
Blue Plaque for The Ashby de la Zouch Canal Name: The Ashby de la Zouch Canal
Location: Ashby Boat Company, The Wharf, Station Road
Notes: A lock-free canal allowing the navigation of craft with a beam of 14' from the Ashby Woulds Coalfield to a junction with the Coventry Canal at Marston got underway in 1794, completed in 1804.
Blue Plaque for The Ashby & Nuneaton Joint Railway Name: The Ashby & Nuneaton Joint Railway
Location: Entrance to Willow Park, Station Road
Notes: Stoke Golding Station and the Stationmaster’s house (1873), both now privately occupied. In 1890 Queen Victoria travelled along the line in the Royal Train, and in 1902 King Edward Vll passed through Stoke Golding on his way to visit Earl Howe at Gopsall Hall.
Note: The Plaque is missing 24-Feb-2016

If there are any Blue Plaques that are missing from the list, can you please give us the details via our Contact Page, we would also welcome photos of the Blue Plaques that we do not have or better quality photo than we already have.

Join Facebook Group