The Buildings of Hinckley

Buildings that start with the letter A



Ambulance Station

AMBULANCE STATION In 1951 Leicestershire County Council announced plans for a new ambulance station to be built on a part of the old cricket ground at the rear of Ashby Road. The total cost, including that of the site, was to be £6,700 (Hinckley Times, 18 May 1951).


Anchor Yard

ANCHOR YARD In 1873 the Local Board published a report on the dilapidated state of the properties here (Leicester Journal, 17 Oct 1873).


Argent House

ARGENT HOUSE - see ST. MARY'S VICARAGE 1872


Argents Mead

ARGENTS MEAD Argents Mead was gifted to the Hinckley Urban District Council in 1948 by Miss Margery Payne. It includes the site of Hinckley Castle and is now largely occupied by the Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council offices, opened in 1967. See also CASTLE: COUNCIL OFFICES 1963-7: WAR MEMORIAL

Argents Mead and Memorial Grounds from St. Mary's church tower, c.1930
Argents Mead and Memorial Grounds from St. Mary's church tower, c.1930

Argents Mead, church and vicarage, c.1925
Argents Mead, church and vicarage, c.1925

Argents Mead: Memorial Gardens, church and vicarage, c.1950
Argents Mead: Memorial Gardens, church and vicarage, c.1950

Argyle House

ARGYLE HOUSE 1884 New Buildings (below) at the foot of Wood Street, opposite the old grammar school/Palladium. Built for Mrs Sarah Argyle, a widow and provisions merchant, it is situated at the junction of Wood Street and New Buildings. At ground floor level there were, until 1997, retail premises; more recently it was an Indian restaurant.

Argyle House
Argyle House

Armoury

ARMOURY - see BAPTIST CHAPEL (PARTICULAR) 1803; GRAMMAR SCHOOL 1877


Ashby Road: Industrial

ASHBY ROAD: INDUSTRIAL The Hinckley Dye Works Ltd (later Trinity Dye Works). Erected 1927 (Golden Jubilee celebrated April 1 1977). Demolished 1980s. Below: in about 1940.

The Hinckley Dye Works Ltd
The Hinckley Dye Works Ltd

Atkins Brothers Ltd

ATKINS BROTHERS LTD etc. - see LOWER BOND STREET: INDUSTRIAL




[Abbreviations: AAS - Associated Architectural Societies reports. HUDC - Hinckley Urban District Council. LRO - Leicestershire Record Office. NMR - National Monuments Record (Swindon). NRO - Northamptonshire Record Office. RCHM - Royal Commission on Historical Monuments for England. TLAS - Transactions of the Leicestershire Archaeological Society. VCH - Victoria County History]


Join Facebook Group