The Buildings of Hinckley

Buildings that start with the letter J and K



John Cleveland College

JOHN CLEVELAND COLLEGE - see GRAMMAR SCHOOL 1963


John Street / Derby Road: Houses

JOHN STREET/DERBY ROAD: HOUSES Humphrey's Cottages. A photo of Humphrey's Cottages in 1911 was published in the Hinckley Times, 20 Feb 1981 (see HT, 13 Feb 1981). In 1871 plans submitted by the Revd Charles Burrows, minister of the Borough Congregationalist Chapel, for two houses and a schoolhouse in John Street, Derby Road, were passed by the Local Board (Hinckley News, 12 Aug 1871).


John Street: Industrial

JOHN STREET: INDUSTRIAL The largest surviving industrial building here is the three-storey late nineteenth century works, until recently the premises of T[imothy] Jennings Ltd, hosiery manufacturers (whose former factory on Upper Bond Street was demolished in 1998).

Former factory of T. Jennings Ltd Former factory of T. Jennings Ltd

Former works of Trojan Knitwear Ltd

Above, left and right: Former factory of T. Jennings Ltd. bottom: Former works of Trojan Knitwear Ltd (part of T. Jennings & Sons).

John Gent & Company Ltd were established in 1933 with twenty seamless machines. By the 1950s the company had 121 seamless machines and 120 fully fashioned heads. In 1939 they bought new premises which contained a dye house for dyeing fabrics and stockings under the name of The Tower Dyeworks Ltd.

Hosiery works of John Gent and Co. Ltd, John Street.
Hosiery works of John Gent & Co. Ltd, John Street. Demolished. (Date of photograph unknown.)

The Jolly Bacchus

The JOLLY BACCHUS 1 The Borough. Listed in the trades directories from 1849 (see David J. & Jenny Knight in Hinckley Historian, 32 (Autumn 1993)). Reputedly built on the site of the Bakehouse. It was a half-timbered building with stucco fa├žade, prominent and somewhat grander than most of the public houses in the town. The brewhouse was alongside. It continued to be mentioned in the trades directories until 1911. By 1930 it had become Finch's, ironmonger.

Below, left : Early photo of c. 1860, before alterations and addition of shopfront. right: photograph of c. 1900. Bottom, left: Elevation of Jolly Bacchus and neighbouring buildings, c.1900 (courtesy David Knight). right: Photographic view of the rear of the Jolly Bacchus from Duke's Lane.

Early photo of c. 1860, before alterations and addition of shopfront photograph of c. 1900

Elevation of Jolly Bacchus and neighbouring buildings, c.1900 the rear of the Jolly Bacchus from Duke's Lane

King Street: Domestic

KING STREET: DOMESTIC Nos. 3-11: Leicester Mercury, 17 Nov 1979 and Wed 2 July 1980, included articles concerning the cost of repairs necessary to preserve the cottages, the latter with a photographic view (below). NMR - 3 photos (1979).

king street

The King's Bakehouse

The KING'S BAKEHOUSE Market Place. The King's Bakehouse formerly stood in the Market Place, on the site later occupied by the Jolly Bacchus (see above). NMR - 1 PHOTO.

kings bakehouse along dukes lane

Above: Duke's Lane, dividing the two original islands of development in the Market Place: This was the original site of the King's Bakehouse


The King's Head, Castle Street

The KING'S HEAD 69 Castle Street. Appeared in a newspaper advertisement of 1819 (Leicester Journal, 23 April) and in the trades directories from 1822 to 1916. See Hinckley Historian, 40, for Sox Shop which occupies part of original building. This contains an early 18th century or possibly 17th century fireplace and has an old brew house at the rear. The cellars of an older building extend beyond the building at the rear but were blocked off when D. Knight spoke to the owner.


The King's Head, Coventry Street

The KING'S HEAD Coventry Street. Appeared in a newspaper advertisement in 1799 (Leicester Journal, 5 April).


King's Hotel

KING'S HOTEL Mount Road. Formerly St Cecilia's Private School, founded by Miss Frances Wardle, who died in 1943 (Hinckley Times, 29 Dec).




[Abbreviations: AAS - Associated Architectural Societies reports. HUDC - Hinckley Urban District Council. LRO - Leicestershire Record Office. NMR - National Monuments Record (Swindon). NRO - Northamptonshire Record Office. RCHM - Royal Commission on Historical Monuments for England. TLAS - Transactions of the Leicestershire Archaeological Society. VCH - Victoria County History]


Join Facebook Group