The Buildings of Hinckley

Buildings that start with the letter U and V



Union Hotel

UNION HOTEL 29, The Borough. The block on which it stands represents infilling of the medieval market place. The Union appeared in the trades directories in 1835, its name implying an association with the Act of Union between Britain and Ireland (1801). About 1888-92 it was the parcel receiving office of the Midland Railway Company. It was largely rebuilt in 1989-90.

The Union in about 1910 before the rendering of the facade, showing attractive brick detailing over the doorway and ground-floor windows
The Union in about 1910 before the rendering of the facade, showing attractive brick detailing over the doorway and ground-floor windows.
View from the early 1950s with the Odeon Cinema to the left and Atkins' factory behind
View from the early 1950s with the Odeon Cinema to the left and Atkins' factory behind.

Unitarian Chapel 1722

UNITARIAN CHAPEL 1722 - see GREAT MEETING


Unitarian Parsonage 1722

UNITARIAN PARSONAGE c.1722 - see IVY HOUSE


United Reformed Church

UNITED REFORMED CHURCH - see CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH 1866-8


Upper Bond Street: Industrial

UPPER BOND STREET: INDUSTRIAL Timothy Jennings began his hosiery business in a Nissen hut on the site in 1918. In the 1920s the company, now T. Jennings & Sons Ltd., erected a substantial factory facing onto Upper Bond Street and backing onto Factory Road (below).

T. Jennings and Sons Ltd. in the early 1930s, prior to extension
T. Jennings & Sons Ltd. in the early 1930s, prior to extension.

These three-storey premises were extended in the late 1930s, including a distinctive prominent glazed corner bay onto the street (below, left). The company ceased manufacturing on this site in the early 1980s and the factory was demolished in 1998 to make way for the new Magistrates Court.

Timothy Jennings' works after extension, 1940 Three-storey converted factory, Upper Bond Street

Former premises of Orril, Jackson and Brocklehurst (1894) Former premises of Orril, Jackson and Brocklehurst (1894)

Top, left: Timothy Jennings' works after extension, 1940 (A. J. Pickering, The Cradle and Home...). Top, right: Three-storey converted factory, Upper Bond Street. bottom, left and right: Former premises of Orril, Jackson and Brocklehurst (1894).

Simpkin Son and Emery had a factory fronting Upper Bond Street, opposite Well Lane, and backing onto Factory Road. It was demolished in the mid-1990s and was on the site of a much older 'factory', recorded in a rate book of 1836. Now (2002) it is occupied by a private housing development. At the north end of Upper Bond Street are the former premises of Orril, Jackson and Brocklehurst (1894) which adjoin Neale's Yard and extend to Druid Street. Subsequently the building was occupied by Brocklehurst and Tomlin (1900) and, lately, by Ghia Hosiery. It is potentially an attractive building with high quality brick detailing to the upper floor (above, left and right).


The Venison Inn

The VENISON INN Public house in Bond Street, recorded in a trades directory of 1835.


Vicarage

VICARAGE - see HOLY TRINITY VICARAGE; ST MARY'S VICARAGE


Victoria Hotel

VICTORIA HOTEL 38 Castle Street. Recorded in the trades directories from 1894. Closed July 1960 and then demolished for shop development (Hinckley Times, 30 July 1960).

The Victoria Hotel in the 1950s
The Victoria Hotel in the 1950s.

The Vinery Hotel

The VINERY HOTEL Built in the late 19th century. It was once a doctor's premises and later belonged to one of the Atkins family (info - D. Knight). Now the King Hotel.




[Abbreviations: AAS - Associated Architectural Societies reports. HUDC - Hinckley Urban District Council. LRO - Leicestershire Record Office. NMR - National Monuments Record (Swindon). NRO - Northamptonshire Record Office. RCHM - Royal Commission on Historical Monuments for England. TLAS - Transactions of the Leicestershire Archaeological Society. VCH - Victoria County History]


Join Facebook Group