Hugh was born in Bromley Kent in 1946. His father was a scientist and a keen amateur historian. In 1953 the family moved to Farnborough in Hampshire, as Mr Beavin senior had been appointed to a post at the Royal Aircraft Establishment. Hugh attended Farnborough Grammar School where his new history teacher, Mr Eversfield, was a young Cambridge historian whose style of teaching with an emphasis on local history provided a stimulus for many boys.
It was the influence of father and schoolmaster which began a lifelong interest in local history. Aged sixteen, Hugh Beavin joined Farnborough Local History Group and at the next AGM became the treasurer. Activities with the group expanded his local knowledge and also brought him into contact with many other local historians.
After graduating from Sheffield University, Hugh spent two years in Canada pursuing further post-graduate study and married fellow Sheffield graduate Jill. On returning to England he first taught at Southern Grammar School for Boys at Portsmouth in Hampshire. Both Hugh and Jill became members of the Fareham Local History Group, where Hugh wrote a number of articles for Fareham Past & Present.
In 1973 he moved from Hampshire to Hinckley to teach at the John Cleveland College. Hugh also went to the Community College to be the tutor of an adult course on 'Techniques in Local History'.
Hugh founded the new Hinckley Local History Group of which he became chairman, and in 1977 The Hinckley Historian Magazine was produced with Hugh as editor, which he continued until the 71st edition, which became the last edition he would be involved with.
He had also become head of the history department and gradually introduced local history into the curriculum. A number of the students also became keen members of the Group and which would see several submitted articles form the students to appear in the Hinckley Historian Magazine. Hugh also served on the Hinckley Civic Society.
In 1991 Hugh was amongst a group of enthusiasts that formed a museum in Hinckley, Hugh became one of the founding directors and also the chairman for 15 years. Hinckley & District Museum opened to the public for the first time in 1996 in a 17t Century framework knitters' cottage along Lower Bond Street in Hinckley.
Hugh has dedicated some of his commitment to the Great Meeting Unitarian Chapel along Baines Lane in Hinckley where he became their Archivist.
In 2013 Hugh was awarded a national award (commemorative scroll) in recognition of his ‘significant voluntary contribution’ to local history by the British Association for Local History (BALH).
Hugh is the author of:
Below are some historical articles that Hugh as written.
|A brooding presence||My kingdom for a horse!|
|A celebrated medical history||Nat Langham - Bare Knuckle Fighter|
|England's most popular poet||The Bleeding Tombstone|
|From Saxon Origins to the 21th Century||The founder of the Quaker movement|
|George Frederick Handel||The Hansom Cab|
|Hinckley - Spa town of the Midlands||The man who tamed crime-torn Hinckley|
|Hinckley in the Hungry Forties||The night that drove old Dixie down|
|Hosiery||The poet Byron - mad, bad and dangerous to know|
|How the town and villages got their names||The racehorse owning Mayor of Hinckley|
|John Nichols - Hinckley's first historian||The surgeon with an international reputation|
|Legend of the Tin hat||Welcome to Hinckley|
|Looking into the history of the museum cottages||Your money or your life|